Bengkung Belly Binding is the art of wrapping a postpartum women’s belly for physical support and to help hasten the recovery process after childbirth. This belly binding technique uses a long strip of 100% natural cotton cloth to wrap around the abdomen from the hips to the ribcage.
Belly wrap in a variety of forms has been practiced by cultures throughout the world for generations. Bengkung Belly Binding comes to the West from Malaysia, where Malay women begin binding about day 4 and bind for at least 40 days postpartum to help support the healing process.
Benefits of Bengkung Belly Wrap
Bengkung is said to have healing properties which include:
– Supporting the internal organs
– Assisting in abdominal wall retraction (including with diastasis recti)
– Encouraging good posture
– Improving circulation
– Reducing water retention
– Closing the hips and the rib cage
– Decreasing postpartum bleeding time
– Supporting the pelvic floor
– Lessening afterpains
– Encouraging spinal realignment to a pre-pregnancy state
Women should be wrapped as soon they can after birth, ideally on day four or five postpartum. The belly bind should be worn daily for 12 hours a day for at least 40 days or longer. After a cesarean birth women should wait at least 6 weeks until the incision is mostly healed before they are wrapped.
Bengkung belly binding is different than western girdles and corsets. The goal with Bengkung binding is not a flatter tummy but overall holistic healing.
Bengkung Belly Wrap Service London
Three sessions at your home which include:
- Application of a postpartum healing belly balm and a relaxing Abdominal-Sacral Massage
- Belly Bind paste application
- Belly Binding instruction to teach you how to bind yourself daily at home. A friend or family member is welcome to learn so they can help wrap you at home
- Includes your own Bengkung Belly Bind Kit
Price: £250 – three sessions (60mins each)
Email Alexa for bookings and more info